U.S. Citizenship
Green Card
U.S. Visas
Immigration Lawyer
Immigration Forms
Additional Resources

Immigration Change of Address

Select your Language


Important Green Card and Visa Holder Change of Address Information: It is a misdemeanor crime to willfully fail to provide the USCIS with a written notice of address change (Form AR-11) within 10 days after remaining in the United States for 30 days or more. Individuals being convicted, including the parent or the legal guardian of an alien under age 14 who is required to give notice, can be fined up to $200 or imprisoned up to 30 days or a combination of both. Individuals may also be deported from the United States, ref. INA § 266(b). The United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) run a “Special Registration” program where individuals from certain countries go through additional security steps to confirm their change of address while in the United States. Nationalities and procedures are included in this information guide.

Notice of Change of Address applies to:

  • Nonimmigrant Visa Holders (visas such as F-1, H-1B, etc.)
  • Green Card Holders (permanent United States residents)

Providing the USCIS with your change of address is not a separate requirement, but it is a condition of a requirement of an individual’s stay in the United States. Visitors who do not comply with the change of address requirement during their stay in the United States will be considered “Out of Status”. The consequences of being out of status can lead to arrest, detention, fines, and/or removal from the United States. Future visa applications to enter the United States may also be impacted.

The purpose of the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System, which was put in place after September 11, 2001, is to keep a track record of those entering and leaving the United States. NSEERS was the first step taken by the Department of Justice and then by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in order to comply with the development of the Congressionally-mandated requirement for a comprehensive entry-exit program.






CLICK HERE to download the Address Change Application Guide for Green Card and Visa Holders. Instructions and Application Forms Included.

The Address Change Application Guide for Green Card and Nonimmigrant Visa Holders:

  • Change of Address overview
  • Who needs to inform the USCIS about a change of address
  • Requirements for Nonimmigrant visa holders (such as F-1, H1B, etc.)
  • Requirements for permanent residents (Green Card holders)
  • Information for individuals who require "Special Registration"
  • Filing information
  • USCIS Mailing Information
  • Customs and Border Protection Field Offices
  • Designated Ports of Departure for Special Registration Individuals
  • U.S. Immigration Terms Overview
  • List of all USCIS (formerly INS) offices nationwide
  • List of United States embassies and consulates
  • FREE Address Change Application Forms


Green Card Address Change  

Product Type:  eBook (Download) PDF format

Delivery Time: Instant Download



More Information on Address Change for Green Card Holders:


Disclaimer: This site is not affiliated with the U.S. government.  We are an independent organization, we are not a government organization, we provide information about the immigration process in the United States. Visit our Terms and Conditions for additional information.

Content, Production and Editing: and; Design: Terra Networks and